Apr 16th, 2007
In honor of Earth Day coming up this Sunday, I am reiterating the mission of this site. Choosing to go vegetarian, even one day a week makes a difference on our planet, our health and the lives of animals everywhere. This week, wannaveg.com will host a series of Earth Day related stories, so be sure to visit everyday for new posts. If there are any articles or stories you would like to contribute please let me know!
(from our ‘Mission‘ page)
The top 10 reasons why adopting a vegetarian diet one day a week will make a difference. In a year you will…
* Save 84,000 gallons of water.
* Save 245 lbs of grain.
* Save 7,700 sq feet of rain forest. (That is equivalent to four good sized houses.)
* Reduce your contribution to the over 10,000,000,000 animals slaughtered for food.
* Save 15.5 gallons of gasoline, good for one fill-up!
* Not contribute to over 403 lbs of manure produced by food animals.
* Reduce your contribution to over 24,000,000 pounds of antibiotics that are added to animal feed.
* Save 87 square feet of topsoil from erosion.
* Reduce your impact on our quickly vanishing ocean life!
* Do not forget about your health! A vegetarian diet, even one day a week will help reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer, and it may even help to drop a few pounds.
– During this week, stay tuned for a couple of updates in the top ten reasons to veg one day a week.