Dec 28th, 2006
wanna see how we figured out the calculations on the mission page? Read below. In addition to our calculations, our references are listed below.
How we came up with 35 lbs per year.
300,000,000 – US population
(2006 population, US Census, http://www.census.gov)
4% Vegetarian (12 million)
(July 15, 2002 issue of TIME Magazine; Posted Sunday, July 7, 2002)
6.8% Children under the age of five (20.4 million) (we took this number as additional non-meat eaters, even though this demographic still eats meat, it’s probably minimal) (US Census, http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html)
300,000,000 (2006 population)
-33,000,000 (11% rounded up, non-meat eating population)
approx. 267 Million meat eaters in the US
The USDA reports:67 Billion Pounds of meat produced in 2005 in the US.
(Meat Animals Production, Disposition, and Income Annual Summary, 04.27.2006 http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/MannUsda/viewDocumentInfo.do?documentID=1101)
67,000,000,000 lbs of meat
267,000,000 meat eaters in US
(2) 250 lb meat annually (per capita applicable)
/ 365 days in a year * 52 weeks in a year
(1)35 lbs per year not consumed by going vegetarian one day a week for a year.
Now the rest of the math was based off of the following references using 35 lbs as a factor in the equation.
(3, 4) How Sustainable Agriculture Can Address the Environmental and Human Health Harms of Industrial Agriculture Environmental Health Perspectives Volume 110, Number 5, May 2002
(5) Determining the effects of mining and agricultural practices on the land in the Amazon rainforest basin. http://web.mit.edu/12.000/www/m2006/teams/ngotm/research.html
(6) A HSUS Report: The Welfare of Animals in the Meat, Egg, and Dairy Industries http://www.hsus.org/farm/resources/research/welfare/welfare_overview.html
(7) Bicycling Wastes Gas? http://bicycleuniverse.info/transpo/beef.html
(8) USDA Agricultural Research Service. FY-2005 Annual Report Manure and Byproduct Utilization, 31 May 2006 (accessed August 10, 2006).
(9) Livestock’s Long Shadow, Environmental Issues and Options- FAO United Nations http://www.virtualcentre.org/en/library/key_pub/longshad/a0701e/A0701E00.pdf
(10) "Diet for a New America" by John Robbins http://www.duke.edu/web/planv/realities.html
1 acres = 15,116 lbs of beef raised/ 35 lbs veg for a day
0.002 acre = 87 square feet of soil erosion
(11) Report Warns of ‘Global Collapse’ of Fishing, New York Times, November 2, 2006